The Department conducts scientific work in the following priority areas:
- Construction thermal physics of building enclosing structures. The discipline head: prof. V.G. Gagarin;
- Energy saving and energy efficiency. The discipline head: prof. V.G. Gagarin;
- Engineering equipment and systems for maintaining the microclimate of industrial buildings and structures. The discipline head: prof. V.I. Prokhorov;
- Air conditioning and cold supply systems. The discipline head: prof. V.I. Prokhorov;
- Gas supply systems. The discipline head: associate professor V.A. Zhila;
- Theoretical foundations for improving microclimate systems in the building. The discipline head: associate professor O.D. Samarin;
- Heat supply and boiler plants. The discipline heads: Associate Professor A.K. Aksyonov and A.S. Chulenev.
The leading scientific advisers of the Department are
- Vladimir G. Gagarin,
- Elena G. Malyavina,
- Andrey G. Rymarov,
- Oleg D. Samarin,
- Samvel V. Sargsyan,
- Vitaly I. Prokhorov,
- Viktor A. Zhila.
There is a Training Laboratory at the Department, which includes such test equipment as Heating and Heat Generation, Ventilation, Wind Tunnel, Pneumatic Conveying System and the MGSU-LG air conditioning training class. Moreover, the Department is equipped with "Heat Engineering," "Heat Supply and Gas Supply (MGSU-Baxi)," "Heat and Heat Supply Generators (MGSU-DeDietrich)" training laboratories.The main field of research activity:
- Building thermal physics of enclosing structures of buildings.
- Energy saving and energy efficiency.
- Engineering equipment and systems to maintain the microclimate of industrial buildings and structures.
- Air conditioning and cooling systems.
- Gas supply system. Scientific advisor: Associate professor. V. A. Zhila.
- Theoretical bases for improvement of the microclimate systems in the building.
- Heat supply and boiler plants.
The results of the research work at the Department are used in lecture courses and practical training on the main disciplines:
- energy saving and energy efficiency of the engineering systems of residential, public and industrial buildings and structures
- improving the efficiency of transportation and combustion of all types of fuel in heat generating plants,
- improvement of environmental characteristics of the applied equipment, research and optimization solutions for centralization and decentralization of heat and power supply systems, hydraulic and thermal modes of heat networks
- improving the reliability of heat and gas supply networks
- engineering and economic optimization of the structure and technical characteristics of gas supply networks