Strength of Materials Department
The Chair ‘Strengths of Materials’ was established in 1951 while Doctor of Engineering Science, Professor Sergey Nikolaevich Nikiforov being the first head of the Chair.
Ivan Sergeevich Tsurkov, Doctor of Engineering Science, Professor has held the Chair since 1962. Gumedin Surenovich Vardanyan, Doctor of Engineering Science, Professor, Honored Master of Science and Engineering, the Laureate of State Science Award of the USSR, has become the successor since 1987.
Starting form 2007, the Chair is headed by Vladimir Igorevich Andreev, Full member of the Russian Academy of Architecture Construction Sciences (RAACS), Honorary Figure of Russian Higher Education, member of National Russian Committee for Theoretical and Applied Mechanics of the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS), honorary professor of Warsaw University of Technology (Politechnika Warszawska), Kyrgyz State University of Construction, Transport and Architecture, Nizhny Novgorod State University of Architecture and Civil Engineering, honorary builder of Russia. Prof. Andreev also occupies the position of the chief executive director of International Public Organization for Promoting Engineering Education (АSV). Prof. Andreev managed to perpetuate scientific heritage accumulated by the Chair throughout the preceding years.
Associate professor Ilyashenko A.V. holds the position of deputy head of the Chair. Active members of the Chair, responsible for educational and methodological work, include associate professors N.M.Atarov, A.N. Leonti’ev, K.A. Tsvetkov, and senior lecturers A.Ya. Astakhova and E.L. Kosheleva.
In 2008 the Chair moved to the new premises comprising two computer labs equipped with 20 working stations. These labs are used for students’ training, computer-administered testing and also as the conference and graduation thesis defense rooms.
The Chair is currently dealing with the following scientific problems:
- Development of problem-solving procedures for elasticity theory and moisture-elasticity of heterogeneous bodies approaching the solution of technical and technological issues of practical importance;
- Application of probabilistic methods for evaluation of safety and seismic stability of building structures. Seismic stability of solid-type structures of power facilities;
- Development of meta-materials with the properties of wide-range phonon crystals for acoustic wave’s energy dispersion;
- Research of properties and analysis of adhesive bondings;
- Application of electronic speckle interferometry for evaluating elastic properties of fine fibers;
- Investigation of the problems of fracture mechanics and crack resistance of structures;
- Research of strength and stress-strain behavior of concrete as well as the criteria of strength under sustained load for concrete within the conditions of non-homogeneous and combined stress state under dynamic loading and different stress times;
- Development of an improved methodology for structural analysis of space structures in linear and non-linear set up of a problem.