The International Summer School “Build Your Future” welcomes all students of disciplines related to civil engineering, urban development, urban planning, architecture, energy saving and energy efficiency of buildings, housing and utilities system and others international students who are interested in the topic of the course.
The course consists of three modules: "Russian language" module for all students and one module of choice - "Architecture & urbanism" or "Rational use of resources and energy saving in buildings and in built environment “. The course language is English.
Module "Russian language".
The course aims to improve listening, reading, writing and speaking skills, practice and expand students’ vocabulary and knowledge of grammar and phonetics. The course strongly emphasise active communication.
Students can start intensive Russian courses without any knowledge or can improve their Russian language skills.
The course is offered on all levels and starts with a baseline test. According to the test results language groups are formed in accordance with the European system of knowledge levels: elementary, basic, first certification.
Contents of the module:
─ Russian as a foreign language
─ Russian speaking and listening
─ Russian and English: similarities and differences
─ Russian Communication Skills
─ Russian for Academic Purposes
The module is taught by highly qualified teachers of the Russian language, using modern methods of teaching.
Module "Architecture & urbanism".
Moscow is one of the biggest megacities in the world. It is a huge & complicated structure, composed of different layers including transport, public, residential & industrial zones, recreational areas, water bodies and so on. Their interaction in addition to social & economic aspects makes the city work. The points of the layers intersection provide a lot of possibilities to develop the city environment, but at the same time this complexity becomes the source of additional difficulties.
Summer school in Moscow offers to conduct the unique survey on the relevant problems of the contemporary capital city. It is possible to get involved into one of three main topics:
1. Resources & reserves (an analysis & estimation of urban intensification, reserves usage inside the existing borders against the expanding city policy & exploiting of the free space as a resource);
2. Heritage (an analysis of the city centre architectural environment, existing historical development, an estimation of its consistency & potential, proposal of promotion & evolution strategies);
3. Commuter belt (an analysis & estimation of possible development strategies of peripheral commuter districts, new qualities of the microdistrict urban environment)
Lectures, practical seminars, brainstorming & preliminary sketching sessions, draft modeling – are held within the survey which can be divided onto main design phases:
1. Initial data analysis
- introductory lecture
- site visiting, site photo, local residents inquiry
- internet & analog data analysis
2. Hypothesis setting up
- preliminary sketching teamwork, resuming the initial data results
- ideas discussion
- design program for the survey
3. Presentation design
- presentation logic storyboard
- modeling, sketching & scheme drawing
- final presentation & handout design
4. Survey final presentation
- The survey results are presented by participants on the final seminar including local authority, developers & professional community.
In addition to the general program summer school provides various lecture & excursion activities:
- Contemporary architecture of Moscow
- Moscow art nouveau architecture
- Architecture of Russian contructivism in Moscow
- Religious Architecture of Moscow
- Russian art of the 20th century
- City palaces of Moscow
- The history & evolution of Moscow masterplan
- The problems of the historical heritage in contemporary city
The module is maintained by experienced lecturers, practicing architects & urban planners. The main course objective is to show the relation between the city structure and the possible quality of its environment, to generate fresh ideas on the city potential revelation.
The module results are presented by participants on the final seminar & assembled in design catalogue.
Module "Rational use of resources and energy saving in built environment"
MGSU comprises the best practices in energy efficiency and resources management. Our professors and researches are well known in Russia and abroad, they conduct research at state of the art laboratories. University has close ties with the industry. You will have an opportunity to visit unique facilities and see an actual implementation of different technologies for rational use of resources and energy saving with region specific approach.
The module includes three main topics:
1. Energy efficient buildings (production, consumption and energy savings in Russia; thermal performance of buildings; home energy audit; comfortable environment in the house; heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems);
2. Water conservation and reuse (water saving trends, indoor water conservation tools and equipment; zero liquid discharge in natural and waste water treatment; state-of-the art membrane solutions in water treatment);
3. Design of wastewater treatment plants on the basis of energy efficiency (new construction and reconstruction of wastewater treatment plants; modeling and analysis; biogas production).
Lectures, practical seminars, laboratory works, brainstorming & draft modeling – are held within the project work “Resources and energy efficiency building of the future”.
The participants of Summer school will be divided into several groups to create concept of ideal house of the future – saving money, resources and energy, comfortable and easy operated.
Project work will include several blocks:
- Survey of local conditions (location, climate, available materials and technologies, residents);
- Overall construction features of building (enclosing structures, windows, roof etc.);
- Energy / electricity delivery, renewable energy use;
- Energy efficiency for all engineering systems;
- Fresh water delivery / sewerage and wastewater treatment / water reuse;
- Comfortable environment in the house;
- Technical specification and suggestions for smart house system functions;
- Economic and social assessment.
The survey results are presented by participants on the final seminar including local authority, developers & professional community.
In addition to the general program summer school provides excursion activities:
- plant of ventilation equipment;
- water / wastewater treatment plant visiting;
- training ground of energy-efficient technologies.