Institute of Hydraulic Engineering and Power Plant Construction was established in 2011 after the merger of two directions:
HYDROTECHNICAL AND SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION
HEAT AND POWER CONSTRUCTION
It consists of the following Research Schools:
Scientific-pedagogical school in the area of soil mechanics, bases and foundations (since 1930);
Scientific-pedagogical school in the area of research and design of hydrotechnical structures (since 1931);
Scientific-pedagogical schools in the area of water power use (since 1931);
The scientific school in the area of explosion-proof buildings and structures;
SCIENTIFIC-PEDAGOGICAL SCHOOL IN THE AREA OF SOIL MECHANICS, BASES AND FOUNDATIONS (SINCE 1930)
The Department of “Soil mechanics, bases and foundations” has become a leading on training of engineers and highly qualified specialists in the field of foundation in USSR.
From 1930 to 1931 head of the Department was Professor P.Smirenkin. From 1931 to 1933 head of the Department was Associate Professor N.Bogoslovsky.
From 1933 to 1938 - Doctor of Engineering Sciences, Major-General engineering services, Professor V.Domohovsky.
From 1938 to 1950 - Doctor of Engineering Sciences, Professor N.Bogoslovsky.
From 1952 to 1983 - an outstanding scientist Professor, Doctor of Engineering Sciences, corr. USSR Academy of Sciences, academician RAASN, Honored Worker of Science and Technology of Russia, the Hero of Socialist Labor N. Tsytovich (1900-1984).
From 1983 to 2000 - Doctor of Engineering Sciences, Professor, Honored Worker of Science and Technology of Russia S.Uhov.
From 2000 to the present time Head of Department is Doctor of Engineering Sciences, Professor, Honored Worker of Science and Technology of Russia, academician of AVN, a member of the Moscow expert advisory committee on bases, foundations and underground structures Z. Ter-Martirosyan.
Since 2013 it has been renamed to the Department of "Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical" (MGG).
Scientific-pedagogical school in the research and design of hydrotechnical structures (since 1931).
The department of hydrotechnical structures became the leader in the USSR in the training of engineers, hydrotechnical engineers. The department released more than 1,500 engineers, who work in many countries around the world.
One of the first Head of Department from 1931 to 1972 became a professor, Doctor of Engineering Sciences , M. Grishin.
He is the founder of the scientific school of hydrotechnical engineers in our country. Together with his colleagues, professors A.Berezinski, P.Gordienko, A.Nichiporovich, N.Rozanov, S.Slissky and other he issued fundamental textbook on the hydrotechnical constructions and numerous textbooks.
From 1972 to 1988 the department was headed by Professor S.Slissky, and from 1988 – 2011 - by Honored Worker of Science and Technology of Russia, Doctor of Engineering Sciences, Professor L.Rasskazov. From 2011 to present Head of Department is Professor, Doctor of Engineering Sciences, N.Aniskin.
Since 2013 it has been renamed to the Department of "Hydrotechnical Engineering".
SCIENTIFIC AND PEDAGOGICAL SCHOOLS IN THE USE OF WATER POWER (SINCE 1931)
The department of water power use became the leading in preparation for hydrotechnical engineers in USSR. Department released more than 1,200 engineers, who work in many countries around the world.
The first scientists-teachers of the department were academician of the USSR and I.Aleksandrov, B.Vedeneev. Head first head of Department from 1931 to 1936 was a professor V.Malyshev. From 1937 to 1976 F. Gubin, Doctor of Engineering Sciences, Professor, Honored Worker of Science and Technology of the USSR, State Prize laureate, was appointed as head of the department.
For many years he was an expert and consultant to the State Planning Commission, the Ministry of Energy and the State Construction Committee of the USSR. He is an author of fundamental textbooks on the strength and reliability of hydrotechnical and hydropower structures.
Many graduates and post-graduate students have become leading scientists in the field of strength, reliability and dynamics of constructions, including: Rector of MGSU until 2002, Doctor of Engineering Sciences , Professor V. Karelin; Vice-rector of MGSU for scientific work until 1996, Doctor of Engineering Sciences, Professor I. Costin, Doctor of Engineering Sciences, Professor, G. Hesin, Doctor of Engineering Sciences, Professor ,G. Shablinsky.
Since 2013 it has been renamed the Department "Hydraulics and use of water resources" (GIVR).
THE SCIENTIFIC SCHOOL IN THE FIELD OF EXPLOSION-PROOF BUILDINGS AND STRUCTURES
The scientific school of explosion safety of buildings and constructions was formed by A. Mishuev, the leading scientist of the Russian Federation in this field during his leadership of the Department of Hydraulics - from 1976 to 1997.
At present, the participant of Victory Parade in 1945, Captain 1st Rank A. Mishuev, Doctor of Engineering Sciences, Professor, Academician of Russian academy of Natural Sciences, AVH, and MAEP, is the head of STC "Explosion stability" of MGSU. He is honorary builder of Moscow, honored Worker of the Highest School of the Russian Federation, Moscow City Council expert.
Research and development works of Professor A. Mishuev differ more practical orientation, have a high level of implementation at the industrial enterprises in Russia.
Professor A. Mishuev is the founder of the scientific school for the study of non-stationary processes on the basis of the method of hydraulic analogies and development of methods of explosion safety of industrial and civil objects, reduction the possible damage and protection the environment.