BREEAM AG Ceremony
The ceremony upon graduating the first group of BREEAM AG course students was held in the Hall of the Academic Council MGSU on February 18, 2020.
28 students from MGSU and 21 students from other universities successfully completed the online course “BREEAM Approved Graduate” introducing into the green standard for construction.
The program was developed by BRE Academy, adapted and translated into Russian language by professors and teachers from MGSU together with company Planet 2030, with the support of Foreign and Commonwealth Office UK.
The ceremony was held with the attendance of:
- Prof. Dr. Valery Telichenko – president of MGSU;
- Katharina Arnold – First Secretary (Climate, Energy and Economics), The British Embassy in Moscow;
- Guy Eames – head of Ecological Construction Council in Russia (RuGBC).
Valery Telichenko noted that technologies develop rapidly, and today's innovations might not be relevant tomorrow. “Humanity moves forward, and our planet should be preserved for future generations. The team of the Moscow State University of Civil Engineering continues the work on environmental issues, green building and improving the living environment.”
Katarina Arnold mentioned that United Kingdom is one of the world leaders in green building. The BREEAM program was launched in the country in 1990, and is very popular nowadays. Rapid climate change affects the construction industry through atypical climatic conditions, weather anomalies, and natural disasters. It is necessary to make global efforts of the world community to solve this problem. In June 2019, the UK was the first of the major economies that commits reducing greenhouse gas emissions to zero by 2050. In November 2020, the United Kingdom will host the 26th UN Climate Change Conference (COP26).
Guy Eames paid attention that the course is available not only to Moscow students, but also to ones from other Russian cities. 5 more Russian universities were invited to join the course:
- Grozny State Oil Technical University named after Academician M.D. Millionshchikov;
- Kaliningrad State Technical University;
- ITMO University, Saint Petersburg;
- Perm National Research Polytechnic University;
- Astrakhan State University of Architecture and Civil Engineering.
The course is no over; everyone can pass the course next year and receive international certificates. For the registration, please contact MGSU International Projects Department, room 608 administrative building.